Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Woman Who Would Be King

While I appreciate that the author tells us that this book is mostly conjecture, by the end of the novel, I was quite tired of hearing that 'this *might* have happened, or *this* might have happened, but we don't know, but maybe.' It got a little irksome, but I understand that we don't know a lot about what actually went down with Hatshepsut. The most confusing part of the book was how the author starts off telling us a story, and I thought, 'hm, I didn't know this would read like a historical novel,' but then it jumps into a historical narrative instead for the rest of the read. Kind of weird. In any case, I did learn quite a bit about how life might have been for the ancient Egyptians, how it seemed like sunshine and daisies, but there was disease everywhere! While they were sitting on their thrones of gold, they were also dealing with lots of nasty stuff. Ew! I would love to meet Hatshepsut in the next life or something and have dinner with her, and ask her what really happened. It's a really interesting story with lots of mysterious holes!

I do with the author had focused less on the sexual aspects of Egyptian life, if they really were that extensive. I realize that in some cultures that is something that highly featured, but it was a little much at times.

 
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

0 comments: