Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Review of 'J'

This book took a long time to get interesting. And even after it did, I still wasn't very interested, especially because I couldn't get myself to care about the characters. They were all so dead in my mind, so lifeless. For over half of the novel, the mention of something horrible in the past makes it seem like we might get more insight on what that was. But nope. You get some snippets of the awful thing that may have happened, and then the author doesn't even give you what exactly happened. You are able to put the pieces together without anything being explicitly stated, but I just wished for something more. The reactions of the main characters when they found out what and who they were just wasn't strong enough. They didn't seem to care about 'what happened, if it happened.'

Another reason that I wasn't sure I wanted to even finish this book was the way the author wrote. It is obvious that he is very proud of his vocabulary and sentence structure--which is all over the place sometimes and hard to follow. I'd never read this author before, and this book didn't make me want to go out in search of his other works.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

0 comments: